Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
Re: Commitfest problems  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Commitfest problems  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 16 December 2014 at 18:18, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Man. You're equating stuff that's not the same. You didn't get your way
> (and I'm tentatively on your side onthat one) and take that to imply
> that we don't want more reviewers.

During that thread a couple people said that novice reviewers added no
value to the review process, and nobody argued with them then.  I've
also been told this to my face at pgCon, and when I've tried organizing
patch review events.  I got the message, which is why I stopped trying
to get new reviewers.

And frankly: if we're opposed to giving credit to patch reviewers, we're
opposed to having them.

I'd just like to add something which might be flying below the radar of more senior people. There are people out there  (ike me)  working on PostgreSQL more for the challenge and perhaps the love of the product, who make absolutely zero money out of it. For these people getting credit where it's due is very important. I'm pretty happy with this at the moment and I can't imagine any situation where not crediting reviewers would be beneficial to anyone.

Regards

David Rowley