Re: Commitfest problems - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Torsten Zuehlsdorff
Subject Re: Commitfest problems
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 16.12.2014 08:33, David Rowley wrote:
> On 16 December 2014 at 18:18, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com
> <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Man. You're equating stuff that's not the same. You didn't get your way
>     > (and I'm tentatively on your side onthat one) and take that to imply
>     > that we don't want more reviewers.
>
>     During that thread a couple people said that novice reviewers added no
>     value to the review process, and nobody argued with them then.  I've
>     also been told this to my face at pgCon, and when I've tried organizing
>     patch review events.  I got the message, which is why I stopped trying
>     to get new reviewers.
>
>     And frankly: if we're opposed to giving credit to patch reviewers, we're
>     opposed to having them.
>

> I'd just like to add something which might be flying below the radar of
> more senior people. There are people out there  (ike me)  working on
> PostgreSQL more for the challenge and perhaps the love of the product,
> who make absolutely zero money out of it. For these people getting
> credit where it's due is very important. I'm pretty happy with this at
> the moment and I can't imagine any situation where not crediting
> reviewers would be beneficial to anyone.

I want to focus this point a little more. I'm educate young people to
become developers and i always try to encourage them to participate in
open source projects for many reasons.

In my experience people are very different and one of the key arguments
to make some becoming part of a community is the credit the can earn.
Finding their own name in the release-note of a known project is very
good for the ego and one of their main motivations. This is especially
import for *young* people.
Also its easy to argue that credits makes it easier to get a good job
later. If you can write "have a look at the release notes of $x, i make
the feature you're using" in your references of a application for
employment this is a big plus for you.

People are very different, but there are some groups of motivations to
address. For me its very unimportant if you name me or not. 10 years ago
i would not have participate in anything without somebody stretching out
this was my "genius" work :(

Apart of this social addressing problem i believe there are some other
problems in the process of reviewing patches in the context of novice
reviewers. I'm trying to write it in a separate note.

Greetings,
Torsten