Re: AutoVacuum and growing transaction XID's - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Rowley
Subject Re: AutoVacuum and growing transaction XID's
Date
Re: AutoVacuum and growing transaction XID's  (github kran <githubkran@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 8 May 2020 at 09:18, github kran <githubkran@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1)  We haven't changed anything related to autovacuum except a work_mem parameter which was increased to 4 GB which I
believeis not related to autovacuum

It might want to look into increasing vacuum_cost_limit to something
well above 200 or dropping autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay down from 20
to something much lower. However, you say you've not changed the
autovacuum settings, but you've also said:

>    1)  I see there are 8 Vacuum workers ( Not sure what changed) running in the background and the concern I have is
allof these vacuum processes are running with wrap around and while they are running

The default is 3, so if you have 8 then the settings are non-standard.

It might be good to supply the output of:

SELECT name,setting from pg_Settings where name like '%vacuum%';

You should know that the default speed that autovacuum runs at is
quite slow in 9.6. If you end up with all your autovacuum workers tied
up with anti-wraparound vacuums then other tables are likely to get
neglected and that could lead to stale stats or bloated tables. Best
to aim to get auto-vacuum running faster or aim to perform some manual
vacuums of tables that are over their max freeze age during an
off-peak period to make use of the lower load during those times.
Start with tables in pg_class with the largest age(relfrozenxid).
You'll still likely want to look at the speed autovacuum runs at
either way.

Please be aware that the first time a new cluster crosses the
autovacuum_freeze_max_age threshold can be a bit of a pain point as it
can mean that many tables require auto-vacuum activity all at once.
The impact of this is compounded if you have many tables that never
receive an UPDATE/DELETE as auto-vacuum, in 9.6, does not visit those
tables for any other reason. After the first time, the relfrozenxids
of tables tend to be more staggered so their vacuum freeze
requirements are also more staggered and that tends to cause fewer
problems.

David