Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 7 Oct 2022 at 12:35, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Which leaves me with the attached proposed wording.

No objections here.

With these comments I'd be using slot MCTX_UNUSED4_ID first, then I'd
probably be looking at MCTX_UNUSED5_ID after adjusting wipe_mem to do
something other than setting bytes to 0x7F. I'd then use
MCTX_UNUSED3_ID since that pattern is only used for larger chunks with
glibc (per your findings).  After that, I'd probably start looking
into making more than 3 bits available. If that wasn't possible, I'd
be using MCTX_UNUSED2_ID and at last resort MCTX_UNUSED1_ID.

David