Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 13 Sept 2022 at 04:53, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> Here is a (penultimate?) draft that includes URLs. Please provide any
> additional feedback no later than 2022-09-14 0:00 AoE. After that, we
> will begin the translation process.

Thanks for drafting these up.

I noticed a couple of things, one pretty minor and one that might need
a bit of a reword.

> sorted. Using `row_number()`, `rank()`, and `count()` as

dense_rank() is affected by that change too. Maybe it was just omitted
for brevity. I'm ok if it was, but just wanted to make sure it wasn't
an accidental omission.

> certain operating systems, PostgreSQL 15 supports the ability to
> [prefetch WAL file contents](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-RECOVERY-PREFETCH)

I think "ability to prefetch WAL file contents" is not really an
accurate way to describe this feature.  What the prefetcher does is
prefetch the pages of tables, indexes and materialized views which are
referenced by WAL, so that when the recovery process comes along
later, the pages of these relations which are being changed by the WAL
record are more likely to be in memory so that the recovery process is
less likely to have to load the referenced pages from disk.

Perhaps the text should read:

"PostgreSQL 15 adds support for prefetching pages referenced in [WAL]."

David