Re: Result Cache node shows per-worker info even for workers not launched - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Result Cache node shows per-worker info even for workers not launched
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 28 Apr 2021 at 21:38, Bharath Rupireddy

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 1:54 PM David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I plan to push this in the next 24 hours or so.
>
> I happen to see explain_resultcache in resultcache.sql, seems like two
> of the tests still have numbers for cache hits and misses - Hits: 980
> Misses: 20, won't these make tests unstable? Will these numbers be
> same across machines? Or is it that no buildfarm had caught these? The
> comment below says that, the hits and misses are not same across
> machines:
> -- Ensure we get some evictions.  We're unable to validate the hits and misses
> -- here as the number of entries that fit in the cache at once will vary
> -- between different machines.

The only reason it would be unstable is if there are cache evictions.
Evictions will only happen if the cache fills up and we need to make
way for new entries.  A 32-bit machine, for example, will use slightly
less memory for caching items, so the number of evictions is going to
be a bit less on those machine.  Having an unstable number of
evictions will cause the hits and misses to be unstable too.
Otherwise, the number of misses is predictable, it'll be the number of
distinct sets of parameters that we lookup in the cache.  Any repeats
will be a hit.  So hits plus misses should just add up to the number
of times that a normal parameterized nested loop would execute the
inner side, and that's predictable too. It would only change if you
change the query or the data in the table.

> Should we remove the hide_hitmiss parameter in explain_resultcache and
> always print N for non-zero and Zero for 0 hits and misses? This
> clearly shows that we have 0 or non-zero hits or misses.

I added that because if there are no evictions then the hits and
misses should be perfectly stable, providing the test is small enough
not to exceed work_mem and fill the cache.   If someone was to run the
tests with a small work_mem, then there would be no shortage of other
tests that would fail due to plan changes.  These tests were designed
to be small enough so there's no danger of getting close to work_mem
and filling the cache.

However, I did add 1 test that sets work_mem down to 64kB to ensure
the eviction code does get some exercise. You'll notice that I pass
"true" to explain_resultcache() to hide the hits and misses there.  We
can't test the exact number of hits/misses/evictions there, but we can
at least tell apart the zero and non-zero by how I coded
explain_resultcache() to replace with Zero or N depending on if the
number was zero or above zero.

David