Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: Reducing the chunk header sizes on all memory context types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 30 Aug 2022 at 13:55, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I wonder if slab ought to artificially bump up such requests when
> MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING is enabled, so there's room for a sentinel.
> I think it's okay for aset.c to not do that, because its power-of-2
> behavior means there usually is room for a sentinel; but slab's
> policy makes it much more likely that there won't be.

I think it's fairly likely that small allocations are a power of 2,
and I think most of our allocates are small, so I imagine that if we
didn't do that for aset.c, we'd miss out on most of the benefits.

David