Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Rowley
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I also find myself querying pg_settings all too often. More typing
than I'd like.

On Thu, 7 Apr 2022 at 06:40, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I do agree that \show might be a bad choice, the reason being that
> the adjacent \set command is for psql variables not GUCs; if we
> had a \show I'd sort of expect it to be a variant spelling of
> "\echo :variable".

I also think \show is not a great choice. I'd rather see us follow the
\d pattern for showing information about objects in the database.

> "\sc" isn't awful perhaps.

I think \dG is pretty good. G for GUC.

David