Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?
Date
Re: How about a psql backslash command to show GUCs?  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> No as sure about \show though. That seems like it could be confused with
> showing other stuff. Maybe consistent with \sf[+] and \sv[+] we could
> add \sc[+]?

Hmm ... my first reaction to that was "no, it should be \sp for
'parameter'".  But with the neighboring \sf for 'function', it'd
be easy to think that maybe 'p' means 'procedure'.

I do agree that \show might be a bad choice, the reason being that
the adjacent \set command is for psql variables not GUCs; if we
had a \show I'd sort of expect it to be a variant spelling of
"\echo :variable".

"\sc" isn't awful perhaps.

Ah, naming ... the hardest problem in computer science.