Re: Rearchitecting for storage - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew Pounsett
Subject Re: Rearchitecting for storage
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 at 19:53, Rob Sargent <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

> That would likely keep the extra storage requirements small, but still non-zero.  Presumably the upgrade would be unnecessary if it could be done without rewriting files.  Is there any rule of thumb for making sure one has enough space available for the upgrade?   I suppose that would come down to what exactly needs to get rewritten, in what order, etc., but the pg_upgrade docs don't seem to have that detail.  For example, since we've got an ~18TB table (including its indices), if that needs to be rewritten then we're still looking at requiring significant extra storage.  Recent experience suggests postgres won't necessarily do things in the most storage-efficient way.. we just had a reindex on that database fail (in --single-user) because 17TB was insufficient free storage for the db to grow into.

Can you afford to drop and re-create those 6 indices?

Technically, yes.  I don't see any reason we'd be prevented from doing that.  But, rebuilding them will take a long time.  That's a lot of downtime to incur any time we update the DB.  I'd prefer to avoid it if I can.  For scale, the recent 'reindex database' that failed ran for nine days before it ran out of room, and that was in single-user.  Trying to do that concurrently would take a lot longer, I imagine.