Re: Oid registry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Farina
Subject Re: Oid registry
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 5:36 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-24 at 21:18 -0700, Daniel Farina wrote:
>> The gap between
>> pre-JSON-in-the-standard-library in Python, Ruby, et al and
>> post-JSON-in-stdlib was much smaller.
>
> Except in Python they renamed the thing.

By 'smaller' I mean the difference in capability between promoted to
the Python stdlib is comparatively smaller than data types and
operators from being promoted to core in Postgres, and the main reason
for that is that people can compose on top of Postgres-core
functionality, but those extensions themselves are not very useful in
further composition.  The extensibility at the first level is great.

There exists an entirely livable alternative-future/present where
Python never promoted the (simple)json library into the stdlib.  The
same could not be said for Postgres extensions as they exist today.

--
fdr