Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Michálek
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hello Jan,

It seems that the patch does not apply anymore on head due to changes in
psql non regression tests. Could you rebase?

This should work on current master (all test passed).

Patch applies, compiles and make check is ok.

There are different flavour of markdown, maybe you should document which one is targetted. Should it be CommonMark? Another variant? Why?

This should be pandoc pipe table. It's because it is similar to aligned format. I need add this to documentation (i have it in recent TODO)

ISTM that the md format lacks escaping for special md characters:

 fabien=# SELECT E'\\n\n</br>' AS foo;
 │     foo      │
 |--------------|
 │ \n</br></br>

I'd say that you need to do escaping more or less similar to html?

There is problem with markown and newlines. Replacing newline by br was only solution that I was able to find.

Also, it seems that you use distinct vertical bar characters in the format? Or is this a trick of my terminal?? It seems that your patch introduces U+2502 (BOX DRAWINGS LIGHT VERTICAL) instead of the usual pipe in some places. Maybe you copy-pasted things from the unicode linestyle.

Main of the functionality is used from aligned format. I tested returned tables in retext and it works. If i have another character than standart pipe, it shouldn`t work.

Why are *_newline variants added for length and formatting? Would it be possible to do without, say by relying on the line count computed by the standard function for instance?

It`s because newlines in markdown, If I need to do it without copy this function, i had to add parameter for markdown to this functions.

The help line is too long, I would suggest not to add the new formats, the list is already truncated with "..." for other formats.

OK

In the sgml documentation, you introduce tab characters, where only spaces should be used.

OK, I modified vimrc as it is in documentation, maybe i do something wrong. I will correct this.

pg_markdown obsahuje falešný prostor mezi čárkou a nový řádek.

I will look on this.

--
Fabien.

--