Re: DOS-style line endings in .pgpass - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John McKown
Subject Re: DOS-style line endings in .pgpass
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 2:10 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr> writes:
> > On 11/14/2016 08:31 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> >> What appears to be happening here is that one of the characters of the
> >> CRLF is being appended to the password, making it invalid.
>
> > Maybe something like the attached patch?
>
> Our usual approach to \r characters is that they're whitespace.  I wonder
> whether the most friendly solution here is to chomp all trailing
> whitespace.  Anybody ever heard of using a trailing space or tab in a
> password?
>
>         while (len > 0 && strchr(" \t\r\n", buf[len - 1]) !=3D NULL)
>                 buf[--len] =3D '\0';
>
>                         regards, tom lane

=E2=80=8BFWIW, I think that's a really good idea. I, personally, don't like
non-printable characters in passwords. They are harder than <elided> to
enter on the keyboard.=E2=80=8B

--=20
Heisenberg may have been here.

Unicode: http://xkcd.com/1726/