Re: [GENERAL] COPY: row is too big - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John McKown
Subject Re: [GENERAL] COPY: row is too big
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 5:11 AM, vod vos <vodvos@zoho.com> wrote:
Hi everyone,

My postgresql is 9.61.

When I copy data from csv file, a very long values for many columns (about 1100 columns). The errors appears:

ERROR:  row is too big: size 11808, maximum size 8160CONTEXT:

COPY rius, line 2

rius is the table.

I have searched the mailing list, but seems no solutions founded.

Thanks.

​I looked in the source code. That message _seems_ to be coming from the file ./src/backend/heap/hio.c and relates to MaxHeapTupleSize. This is set, indirectly, from the BLKCZ set in the "configure" from when PostgreSQL was originally compiled. That is, this is a "hard coded" limit which can only be overridden by re-customizing PostgreSQL yourself using the source. Apparently whomever did the PostgreSQL compilation setup took the default BLKCZ of 8192. So there is no solution other than "do it yourself" by getting the PostgreSQL source code and configuring it yourself. I can give you the first step. You can get the PostgreSQL source one of two ways. You can go here: https://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/v9.6.1/ - download the proper file. Or, if you have and know "git", you can enter the command: git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/postgresql.git .

Oh, I assumed (bad me!) that you're running on Linux. I know _nothing_ about how to do the above on Windows.

I am not a PostgreSQL guru. Perhaps I made a stupid mistake in my analysis and the truly knowledgeable will have a better answer for you.
--
There’s no obfuscated Perl contest because it’s pointless.

—Jeff Polk

Maranatha! <><
John McKown