Re: Support logical replication of DDLs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Zheng Li
Subject Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Attaching V50 patch set which adds support for SECURITY LABEL commands.
Also fixed an issue in deparse_AlterRelation from the last conflict resolution.

On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 9:37 PM li jie <ggysxcq@gmail.com> wrote:

> I noticed that the issue of ownership seems to have not been considered.
> For example, if a user 'a' from the publishing side creates a table t1,
> the owner of t1 is not user 'a' after it is replicated to the subscribing side.
> This is a situation that has not been encountered in previous DML replication.
>
> I think the ownership relationship should not be lost,
> and we should perhaps add it back,
> like pg_dump "ALTER TABLE public.t1 OWNER TO a;",
> even though we do not currently support the replication of USER.

I agree that this is a useful scenario. On the other hand, I think it
also makes sense to keep the ownership of objects to the subscription
owner in other use cases. Maybe we can make it optional whether to
inherit the original ownership of the publisher on the subscriber
using a new subscription_parameter. For example, original_ownership:
CREATE SUBSCRIPTION mysub CONNECTION 'conninfo' PUBLICATION mypub WITH
(original_ownership=true);

Then we can change the apply worker to set the ownership of new
objects accordingly. We also need to make the owner information
available in the logicalddlmsg, currently we don't log this
information.

Regards,
Zheng

Attachment