Re: patch - BigSQL packages on Download - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Rader, David
Subject Re: patch - BigSQL packages on Download
Date
List pgsql-www

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 05/03/2016 09:51 AM, Rader, David wrote:
Josh -

There are 2 types http requests - the first being to download pgAdmin or
PostgreSQL Studio if selected by the user.  The description for those
components says that a xxMB download is required and the user could
choose to not install them to avoid the http request.

O.k. this one I think is fine and reasonable.

The 2nd type is to update the list of components and versions available
for install or update - which we are going to change to be explicit
rather than implicit. I think _most_ users today expect auto checks to
see if updates are available (think every smart phone, modern OS X and
Windows, desktop apps like Atom, etc, etc). But it's not the majority of
casual users that complain about privacy issues - it's the small group
of vocal people concerned enough to look that do. So we are going to
change to not update the package list during the install but leave it to
the user for afterwards.

If it were me, I would use a static list and have a button that says:

Would you like to update the list of components available for download (Internet connection needed)? Yes/No

And run with that.

Sincerely,

JD

Attached is an updated version of the proposed patch that address all the comments so far regarding wording. Please review.

Josh, that's the approach we're going to take (very similar to the StackBuilder page at the end of the EDB installer). So the user will be informed.

Thanks
Dave

Attachment