Re: patch - BigSQL packages on Download - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: patch - BigSQL packages on Download
Date
List pgsql-www
On 05/03/2016 09:51 AM, Rader, David wrote:
> Josh -
>
> There are 2 types http requests - the first being to download pgAdmin or
> PostgreSQL Studio if selected by the user.  The description for those
> components says that a xxMB download is required and the user could
> choose to not install them to avoid the http request.

O.k. this one I think is fine and reasonable.

> The 2nd type is to update the list of components and versions available
> for install or update - which we are going to change to be explicit
> rather than implicit. I think _most_ users today expect auto checks to
> see if updates are available (think every smart phone, modern OS X and
> Windows, desktop apps like Atom, etc, etc). But it's not the majority of
> casual users that complain about privacy issues - it's the small group
> of vocal people concerned enough to look that do. So we are going to
> change to not update the package list during the install but leave it to
> the user for afterwards.

If it were me, I would use a static list and have a button that says:

Would you like to update the list of components available for download
(Internet connection needed)? Yes/No

And run with that.

Sincerely,

JD