Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 16, 2024 at 10:41 PM Bharath Rupireddy

> Thanks for looking into this.
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2024 at 4:54 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Why raise the ERROR just for timeout invalidation here and why not if
> > the slot is invalidated for other reasons? This raises the question of
> > what happens before this patch if the invalid slot is used from places
> > where we call ReplicationSlotAcquire(). I did a brief code analysis
> > and found that for StartLogicalReplication(), even if the error won't
> > occur in ReplicationSlotAcquire(), it would have been caught in
> > CreateDecodingContext(). I think that is where we should also add this
> > new error. Similarly, pg_logical_slot_get_changes_guts() and other
> > logical replication functions should be calling
> > CreateDecodingContext() which can raise the new ERROR. I am not sure
> > about how the invalid slots are handled during physical replication,
> > please check the behavior of that before this patch.
>
> When physical slots are invalidated due to wal_removed reason, the failure happens at a much later point for the
streamingstandbys while reading the requested WAL files like the following:

> 2024-09-16 16:29:52.416 UTC [876059] FATAL:  could not receive data from WAL stream: ERROR:  requested WAL segment
000000010000000000000005has already been removed
> 2024-09-16 16:29:52.416 UTC [872418] LOG:  waiting for WAL to become available at 0/5002000
>
> At this point, despite the slot being invalidated, its wal_status can still come back to 'unreserved' even from
'lost',and the standby can catch up if removed WAL files are copied either by manually or by a tool/script to the
primary'spg_wal directory. IOW, the physical slots invalidated due to wal_removed are *somehow* recoverable unlike the
logicalslots.

> IIUC, the invalidation of a slot implies that it is not guaranteed to hold any resources like WAL and XMINs. Does it
alsoimply that the slot must be unusable?

If we can't hold the dead rows against xmin of the invalid slot, then
how can we make it usable even after copying the required WAL?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.