Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations.
Date
Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations.  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: pgsql: Avoid creation of the free space map for small heap relations.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 10:25 AM Andrew Gierth
<andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk> wrote:

>  Amit> One possibility is that autovacuum has triggered to perform
>  Amit> truncation of some other relation (remove pages at the end) which
>  Amit> doesn't allow the FSM test to remove the rows/perform truncation
>  Amit> and thus let to the failure. Can there be anything else which can
>  Amit> start a transaction when a regression test is running? Still
>  Amit> thinking, but inputs are welcome.
>
> I've bumped into issues (cf. commit 64ae420b2) with regression tests of
> this kind caused by concurrent (auto-)ANALYZE (not VACUUM);

Yes, so this could be the cause of the problem.  I think we need to
change the tests added by the patch such that they don't rely on
vacuum to remove dead-row versions?  Do you or anybody else see any
better way to fix this?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.