Re: [HACKERS] [POC] Faster processing at Gather node - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [POC] Faster processing at Gather node
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 8:04 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:15 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yeah and I think something like that can happen after your patch
>> because now the memory for tuples returned via TupleQueueReaderNext
>> will be allocated in ExecutorState and that can last for long.   I
>> think it is better to free memory, but we can leave it as well if you
>> don't feel it important.  In any case, I have written a patch, see if
>> you think it makes sense.
>
> Well, I don't really know.  My intuition is that in most cases after
> ExecShutdownGatherMergeWorkers() we will very shortly thereafter call
> ExecutorEnd() and everything will go away.

I thought there are some cases (though less) where we want to Shutdown
the nodes (ExecShutdownNode) earlier and release the resources sooner.
However, if you are not completely sure about this change, then we can
leave it as it.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.