Re: Use T_IntList for uint32 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Use T_IntList for uint32
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 6:58 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> > Currently pg_list.h doesn't have a variant for uint32 list (like
> > T_UIntList), is there a reason other than that that we don't need it
> > till now?
>
> I'm not in favor of adding another list variant code just for that;
> the overhead is nonzero, and the gain negligible.  (I think the reason
> we have OID lists is the idea that someday we'd want to make OID 64-bit.
> A list type defined as "UInt" would offer no such future-proofing.)

I agree with this and I also don't want to add more code for this
unless it is really required. Having said that, the case for Xids is
similar to Oids where someday we might want it to be 64-bit but we can
leave it for another day.

> The code you quote probably ought to be casting the result of lfirst_int
> to uint32, but I see no reason to work harder.

Sounds reasonable, will use this for now.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.