Re: Documentation for SET var_name FROM CURRENT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Documentation for SET var_name FROM CURRENT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 9:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Amit Kapila escribió:
>> While reading documentation for SET command, I observed that FROM
>> CURRENT syntax and its description is missing from SET command's
>> syntax page (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-set.html).
>>
>> Do you think that documentation should be updated for the same or is
>> there any reason why it is not documented?
>
> Did you look at the commit message that introduced it?
  No, I just noticed while reading documentation that although syntax
SET var_name FROM CURRENT works, but the documentation didn't have it.  Commit meesage below explains why it is not
there,but I think as
it works, it might be better to mention in some form (as described by
David in  previous mail or some other variant).

> commit e7889b83b7059e776f0a3d76bbbdd98687f4592c
> Author: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> Date:   Mon Sep 3 18:46:30 2007 +0000
>
>     Support SET FROM CURRENT in CREATE/ALTER FUNCTION, ALTER DATABASE, ALTER ROLE.
>     (Actually, it works as a plain statement too, but I didn't document that
>     because it seems a bit useless.)  Unify VariableResetStmt with
>     VariableSetStmt, and clean up some ancient cruft in the representation of
>     same.
  Thanks for pointing at right location.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.