Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> > Not really -- it's a bit slower actually in a synthetic case measuring
>> > exactly the slowed-down case.  See
>> > https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD__OugK12ZqMWWjZiM-YyuD1y8JmMy6x9YEctNiF3rPp6hy0g@mail.gmail.com
>> > I bet in normal cases it's unnoticeable.  If WARM flies, then it's going
>> > to provide a larger improvement than is lost to this.
>>
>> Hmm, that test case isn't all that synthetic.  It's just a single
>> column bulk update, which isn't anything all that crazy,
>
> The problem is that the update touches the second indexed column.  With
> the original code we would have stopped checking at that point, but with
> the patched code we continue to verify all the other indexed columns for
> changes.
>
> Maybe we need more than one bitmapset to be given -- multiple ones for
> for "any of these" checks (such as HOT, KEY and Identity) which can be
> stopped as soon as one is found, and one for "all of these" (for WARM,
> indirect indexes) which needs to be checked to completion.

How will that help to mitigate the regression?  I think what might
help here is if we fetch the required columns for WARM only when we
know hot_update is false.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.