Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables
Date
Re: WIP: Avoid creation of the free space map for small tables  (John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:39 AM John Naylor <john.naylor@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 6:32 AM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also, another case to think in this regard is the upgrade for standby
> > servers, if you read below paragraph from the user manual [1], you
> > will see what I am worried about?
> >
> > "What this does is to record the links created by pg_upgrade's link
> > mode that connect files in the old and new clusters on the primary
> > server. It then finds matching files in the standby's old cluster and
> > creates links for them in the standby's new cluster. Files that were
> > not linked on the primary are copied from the primary to the standby.
> > (They are usually small.)"
> >
> > [1] - https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/pgupgrade.html
>
> I am still not able to get the upgraded standby to go into recovery
> without resorting to pg_basebackup, but in another attempt to
> investigate your question I tried the following (data1 = old cluster,
> data2 = new cluster):
>

> mkdir -p data1 data2 standby
>
> echo 'heap' > data1/foo
> echo 'fsm' > data1/foo_fsm
>
> # simulate streaming replication
> rsync --archive data1 standby
>
> # simulate pg_upgrade, skipping FSM
> ln data1/foo -t data2/
>
> rsync --archive --delete --hard-links --size-only --no-inc-recursive
> data1 data2 standby
>
> # result
> ls standby/data1
> ls standby/data2
>

> The result is that foo_fsm is not copied to standby/data2, contrary to
> what the docs above imply for other unlinked files. Can anyone shed
> light on this?

Is foo_fsm present in standby/data1?  I think what doc means to say is
that it copies any unlinked files present in primary's new cluster
(which in your case will be data2).

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.