Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] UPDATE of partition key
Date
List pgsql-hackers
 On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think we can do this even without using an additional infomask bit.
>> As suggested by Greg up thread, we can set InvalidBlockId in ctid to
>> indicate such an update.
>
> Hmm.  How would that work?

We can pass a flag say row_moved (or require_row_movement) to
heap_delete which will in turn set InvalidBlockId in ctid instead of
setting it to self. Then the ExecUpdate needs to check for the same
and return an error when heap_update is not successful (result !=
HeapTupleMayBeUpdated).  Can you explain what difficulty are you
envisioning?

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.