Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] logical decoding of two-phase transactions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 9:19 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 12:43 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think you'd be way better off making the gid fields be "char *"
> > > and pstrdup'ing the result of pq_getmsgstring.  Another possibility
> > > perhaps is to use strlcpy, but I'd only go that way if it's important
> > > to constrain the received strings to 200 bytes.
> > >

> > I think it is important to constrain length to 200 bytes for this case
> > as here we receive a prepared transaction identifier which according
> > to docs [1] has a max length of 200 bytes. Also, in
> > ParseCommitRecord() and ParseAbortRecord(), we are using strlcpy with
> > 200 as max length to copy prepare transaction identifier. So, I think
> > it is better to use strlcpy here unless you or Peter feels otherwise.
> >

> OK. I have implemented this reported [1] potential buffer overrun
> using the constraining strlcpy, because the GID limitation of 200
> bytes is already mentioned in the documentation [2].

This will work but I think it is better to use sizeof gid buffer as we
are using in ParseCommitRecord() and ParseAbortRecord(). Tomorrow, if
due to some unforeseen reason if we change the size of gid buffer to
be different than the GIDSIZE then it will work seamlessly.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.