Re: "pgoutput" options missing on documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: "pgoutput" options missing on documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:

> > I saw that the original "publication_names" error was using
> > errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE), but TBH since there is no
> > option given at all I felt ERRCODE_SYNTAX_ERROR might be more
> > appropriate errcode for those 2 mandatory option errors.
>
> It makes sense to me.  Changed.

I found the existing error code appropriate because for syntax
specification, either we need to mandate this at the grammar level or
at the API level. Also, I think we should give a message similar to an
existing message: "publication_names parameter missing". For example,
we can say, "proto_version parameter missing". BTW, I also don't like
the other changes parse_output_parameters() done in 0001, if we want
to improve all the similar messages there are other places in the code
as well, so we can separately make the case for the same.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.