Re: "pgoutput" options missing on documentation - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: "pgoutput" options missing on documentation
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:

> > SUGGESTION
> > -proto_version
> > -publication_names
> > -binary
> > -messages
> > -origin
> >
> > Requires minimum protocol version 2:
> > -streaming (boolean)
> >
> > Requires minimum protocol version 3:
> > -two_phase
> >
> > Requires minimum protocol version 4:
> > -streaming (parallel)
>
> I am still not sure if this is any better.  I don't like that
> "streaming" appears twice, and I wouldn't know how to format this
> nicely.

The currently proposed way seems reasonable to me.

> The new versions are attached.
>
> I also added "Required." for "proto_version" and "publication_names".

Comma separated list of publication names for which to subscribe
-       (receive changes). The individual publication names are treated
-       as standard objects names and can be quoted the same as needed.
+       (receive changes).  Required.  The individual publication names are

This change (Required in between two sentences) looks slightly odd to
me. Can we instead extend the second line to something like: "This
parameter is required, and the individual publication names are ...".
Similarly we can adjust the proto_vesion explanation.

One minor comment:
====================
+ <para>
+  <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> supports extensible logical decoding
+  plugins.  <literal>pgoutput</literal> is the standard one used for
+  the built-in logical replication.
+ </para>

This sounds like we are supporting more than one logical decoding
plugin. Can we slightly rephrase it to something like:
"PostgreSQL</productname> supports extensible logical decoding plugin
<literal>pgoutput</literal> which is used for the built-in logical
replication as well."

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.