Re: Compression of full-page-writes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:22 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM, KONDO Mitsumasa
>> <kondo.mitsumasa@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>>
>>> In
>>> actual, many of NoSQLs use snappy for purpose of higher performance.
>>
>> Okay, you can also check the results with snappy algorithm, but don't
>> just rely completely on snappy for this patch, you might want to think
>> of another alternative for this patch.
>
> So, our consensus is to introduce the hooks for FPW compression so that
> users can freely select their own best compression algorithm?
 We can also provide GUC for whether to enable WAL compression, which
I think you are also planing to include based on some previous e-mails
in this thread.

You can consider my vote for this idea. However I think we should wait
to see if anyone else have objection to this idea.

> Also, probably we need to implement at least one compression contrib module
> using that hook, maybe it's based on pglz or snappy.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.