Re: Resetting PGPROC atomics in ProcessInit() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Resetting PGPROC atomics in ProcessInit()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just noticed, while working on a patch adding things to PGPROC, that
> the group clearning patches for the proc array and clog reset atomics in
> InitProcess().
>
> I'm not a big fan of that, because it means that it's not safe to look
> at the atomics of backends that aren't currently in use.  Is there any
> reason to not instead initialize them in InitProcGlobal() and just
> assert in InitProcess() that they're 0?

It seems the code written has followed a natural practice i.e PGPROC
members are initialized in InitProcess and ProcGlobal members (like
procArrayGroupFirst) are initialized in InitProcGlobal.  For your use
case, can't you look at procArrayGroupFirst?  If not, then I think we
can do what you are saying as I don't see a problem in initializing
them in InitProcGlobal.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.