Re: Postgres 11 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Postgres 11 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:17 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2018 at 11:42:35AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:

> > >formatting

> > >http://postgr.es/m/CADE5jYLuugnEEUsyW6Q_4mZFYTxHxaVCQmGAsF0yiY8ZDggi-w@mail.gmail.com
> > >
> > >I looked into this and it is usually a detail we don't have in the
> > >release notes.  It isn't generally interesting enough to user.
> >
> > This seems quite relevant. Both because it addresses concerns, but also can lead to a worse plan.

+1.

> Well, our normal logical is whether the average user would adjust their
> behavior based on this change, or whether it is user visible.

In general, I think this is okay because otherwise providing a lot of
information which most users won't care doesn't serve any purpose.
OTOH, I think it is not easy to decide which features to ignore.  I
think it won't be important to mention some of the code refactoring
commits or minor improvements in the code here and there, but we can't
say that about any of the performance or planner improvements.  Sure,
we might not want to mention everything, but it is better we discuss
such features before ignoring it.  I agree that it will be more work
for preparing release notes, but in the end, we might save some time
by not arguing later about which feature is important and which is
not.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.