Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Block level parallel vacuum
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 11:37 AM Masahiko Sawada
<masahiko.sawada@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 at 14:31, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Based on these needs, we came up with a way to allow users to specify
> > this information for IndexAm's. Basically, Indexam will expose a
> > variable amparallelvacuumoptions which can have below options
> >
> > VACUUM_OPTION_NO_PARALLEL   1 << 0 # vacuum (neither bulkdelete nor
> > vacuumcleanup) can't be performed in parallel
>
> I think VACUUM_OPTION_NO_PARALLEL can be 0 so that index AMs who don't
> want to support parallel vacuum don't have to set anything.

make sense.

> > VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_BULKDEL   1 << 1 # bulkdelete can be done in
> > parallel (Indexes nbtree, hash, gin, gist, spgist, bloom will set this
> > flag)
> > VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_COND_CLEANUP  1 << 2 # vacuumcleanup can be
> > done in parallel if bulkdelete is not performed (Indexes nbtree, brin,
> > gin, gist,
> > spgist, bloom will set this flag)
> > VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_CLEANUP  1 << 3 # vacuumcleanup can be done in
> > parallel even if bulkdelete is already performed (Indexes gin, brin,
> > and bloom will set this flag)
>
> I think gin and bloom don't need to set both but should set only
> VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_CLEANUP.
>
> And I'm going to disallow index AMs to set both
> VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_COND_CLEANUP and VACUUM_OPTION_PARALLEL_CLEANUP
> by assertions, is that okay?

Sounds reasonable to me.

Are you planning to include the changes related to I/O throttling
based on the discussion in the nearby thread [1]?  I think you can do
that if you agree with the conclusion in the last email[1], otherwise,
we can explore it separately.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1%2BuDgLwfnAhQWGpAe66D85PdkeBygZGVyX96%2BovN1PbOg%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,