Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> Re: Amit Kapila 2014-06-25 <CAA4eK1+F9ZtoGvVw-WYj2+vT0K8_JXTziqHp8iVB7wdo1w1Rkw@mail.gmail.com>
>
> > I think maintaining values both in postgresql.conf and by Alter System
> > is not advisable.
>
> Possibly, but then the system should be warning about all options, not
> just the restart-only ones. And it should warn at startup, not at
> reload time.

How about adding a note in Alter System so that users are aware of
such behaviour and can ensure that they don't have duplicate entries?

Clearly such warnings indicate that there are conflicting settings, so
user can take appropriate action to avoid it.

> > I am not sure if this addresses your concern completely, but I thinking
> > changing some existing mechanism (maintaining duplicate entries during
> > processing of config files) at this point might be risky.
>
> Not sure how intrusive a fix would be - collect all settings during
> config parse, and only warn once everything has been seen, instead of
> emitting warnings line-by-line.

As per my understanding, it is more appropriate to eliminate duplicate
entries.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.