Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Re: Amit Kapila 2014-06-26 <CAA4eK1+mUTjc=GXJK3bYtSwV2BmBni=PHEvBqLQkhdUV9cWd1A@mail.gmail.com>
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 7:52 PM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> > Re: Amit Kapila 2014-06-25 <
> CAA4eK1+F9ZtoGvVw-WYj2+vT0K8_JXTziqHp8iVB7wdo1w1Rkw@mail.gmail.com>
> >
> > > I think maintaining values both in postgresql.conf and by Alter System
> > > is not advisable.
> >
> > Possibly, but then the system should be warning about all options, not
> > just the restart-only ones. And it should warn at startup, not at
> > reload time.
>
> How about adding a note in Alter System so that users are aware of
> such behaviour and can ensure that they don't have duplicate entries?

If the behavior isn't going to change, that issue need to be
documented, sure.

> Clearly such warnings indicate that there are conflicting settings, so
> user can take appropriate action to avoid it.

I don't think conflicting settings in postgresql.auto.conf are a user
error, or misconfiguration. They are just normal use of ALTER SYSTEM.
Of course the user might want to eventually consolidate their config,
but we shouldn't treat the situation as bogus.

Frankly what bugs me most about this is that the warnings occur only
at reload time, not at startup. If the server thinks something is
wrong with my config, it should tell me rightaway.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/