Re: Support logical replication of DDLs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 1:52 AM Zheng Li <zhengli10@gmail.com> wrote:

> > In general, I agree with your comment below that we can work on this
> > after we have some more concrete plans/discussions. I think we can
> > probably consider this when we have more discussion around the
> > publication commands for the DDL objects. However, it would be good if
> > you can add some more details about the above two options.
>
> Thanks for the support. I have started a new thread on supporting replication of
> global object command and have added more detailed discussion:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAD30UKD7YPEbYcs_L9PYLcLZjnxyqO%3DJF5_mnAwx7g_PtOi3A%40mail.gmail.com
>
> > I noticed that LogLogicalDDLMessage() uses MyDatabaseId and then
> > decoding can take some action (filtering) based on that. Is it Okay to
> > use that function for global objects, if so, you might want to add a
> > comment for the same?
>
> Could you elaborate on the concern? The dbid filtering happens in
> logicalddlmsg_decode but I don't see why I can't use LogLogicalDDLMessage
> to log global commands.

I thought one may not want to tie replication of global objects with
any particular database. I read your ideas on the thread [1] about the
same but am not sure of the best way forward for it.

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAD30UKD7YPEbYcs_L9PYLcLZjnxyqO%3DJF5_mnAwx7g_PtOi3A%40mail.gmail.com

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.