Re: MERGE and parsing with prepared statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: MERGE and parsing with prepared statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Jul-15, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> Should that sentence be removed from MERGE ?

Removed

On 2022-Jul-18, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 03:43:41PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > Should that sentence be removed from MERGE ?
>
> Also, I think these examples should be more similar.

Agreed, done.

On 2022-Aug-09, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 11:48:23AM +0200, Álvaro Herrera wrote:

> > So I propose to leave it as

> >            and a unique index is present and a duplicate row is concurrently
> >            inserted, then a uniqueness violation error is raised;
> >            <command>MERGE</command> does not attempt to avoid such
> >            errors by restarting evaluation of <literal>MATCHED</literal>
> >        conditions.
>
> I think by "leave it as" you mean "change it to".
> (Meaning, without referencing UPDATE).

Yes.  I suppose we could add a parenthical comment, given that it's
likely the most popular option?  Feel free to suggest something
specific.

"People get annoyed when you try to debug them."  (Larry Wall)