Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables
Date
Re: [v9.3] writable foreign tables  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10 March 2013 18:32, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp> writes:
>> [ pgsql-v9.3-writable-fdw-poc.v12.part-1/2.patch ]
>
> Applied after rather extensive editorialization.  DELETE RETURNING in
> particular was a mess, and I also tried to make SELECT FOR UPDATE behave
> in what seemed like a sane fashion.
>
> There's a lot left to do here of course.  One thing I was wondering
> about was why we don't allow DEFAULTs to be attached to foreign-table
> columns.  There was no use in it before, but it seems sensible enough
> now.

Yes...

postgres=# INSERT INTO animals (id, animal, age) VALUES (DEFAULT,
'okapi', NULL);
ERROR:  null value in column "id" violates not-null constraint
DETAIL:  Failing row contains (null, okapi, null).
CONTEXT:  Remote SQL command: INSERT INTO public.animals(id, animal,
age) VALUES ($1, $2, $3)

Out of curiosity, is there any way to explicitly force a foreign
DEFAULT with column-omission?

--
Thom