Re: Unix domain socket inconsistency - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Unix domain socket inconsistency
Date
Re: Unix domain socket inconsistency  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 23 December 2013 01:15, Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> wrote:
> On 23 December 2013 01:13, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 12/22/2013 04:51 PM, Thom Brown wrote:
>>
>>> PostgreSQL using unix domain sockets by not specifying any host with
>>> psql, and the same applies to vacuumdb, createdb and dropdb.  However,
>>> when I go to use pgbench, it seems to be looking in the wrong place
>>> for the domain socket:
>>>
>>> thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ psql postgres
>>> psql (9.4devel)
>>> Type "help" for help.
>>>
>>> postgres=# \q
>>> thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ createdb pgbench
>>> thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ pgbench -i -s 20 pgbench
>>> Connection to database "pgbench" failed:
>>> could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>>> Is the server running locally and accepting
>>> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5488"?
>>>
>>> The actual location is /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5488:
>>>
>>> thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ pg_ctl stop
>>> waiting for server to shut down....LOG:  received smart shutdown request
>>> LOG:  autovacuum launcher shutting down
>>> LOG:  shutting down
>>> LOG:  database system is shut down
>>> done
>>> server stopped
>>> thom@swift ~/Development/postgresql $ psql postgres
>>> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>>> Is the server running locally and accepting
>>> connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5488"?
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>

>> Best guess pgbench is being run from a different install then rest of your
>> Postgres set up. Might want to check whether you have more than one copy of
>> pgbench and if so where they are in PATH.
>
> I should have mentioned that I've checked that:
>
> thom@swift ~/Development $ which psql pgbench
> /home/thom/Development/psql/bin//psql
> /home/thom/Development/psql/bin//pgbench

Hmm... now this is odd.  I went to correct the PATH information in my
.bashrc script file (to remove the superfluous trailing
forward-slash), and when running both psql and pgbench in a new
terminal, all is fine:

thom@swift ~/Development $ which psql pgbench
/home/thom/Development/psql/bin/psql
/home/thom/Development/psql/bin/pgbench
thom@swift ~/Development $ psql postgres
psql (9.4devel)
Type "help" for help.

postgres=# \q
thom@swift ~/Development $ pgbench -i -s 20 pgbench
NOTICE:  table "pgbench_history" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "pgbench_tellers" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "pgbench_accounts" does not exist, skipping
NOTICE:  table "pgbench_branches" does not exist, skipping
creating tables...
100000 of 2000000 tuples (5%) done (elapsed 0.10 s, remaining 1.86 s).
200000 of 2000000 tuples (10%) done (elapsed 0.19 s, remaining 1.72 s).

So it's all working now, but I don't know why.  I don't think that
change would be the thing that fixed it.  Perhaps it's something to do
with me attempting to run pgbench before building the development
contrib module of it, so it picks up the OS package-installed version,
and when I go to build the local dev version, it has cached the
location for the domain socket from the previous attempt.  *shrug*

--
Thom