Re: Statement timeout logging - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thom Brown
Subject Re: Statement timeout logging
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 6 June 2013 17:28, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/6/6 Thom Brown <thom@linux.com>:
> Hi,
>
> When a statement is cancelled due to it running for long enough for
> statement_timeout to take effect, it logs a message:
>
> ERROR:  canceling statement due to statement timeout
>
> However, it doesn't log what the timeout was at the time of the
> cancellation.  This may be set in postgresql.conf, the database, or on
> the role, but unless log_line_prefix is set to show the database name
> and the user name, there's no reliable way of finding out what context
> the configuration applied from.  Setting log_duration won't help
> either because that only logs the duration of completed queries.
>
> Should we output the statement_timeout value when a query is cancelled?

+1

we use same feature in GoodData. Our long queries are cancelled by
users and we should to known how much a users would to wait.

It seems there are a couple more errors that could share this sort of information too:

canceling authentication due to timeout
canceling statement due to lock timeout

Admittedly the first of those two isn't really an issue.
--
Thom