Re: BUG #17381: psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" After installing - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Matti Linnanvuori
Subject Re: BUG #17381: psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" After installing
Date
In response to BUG #17381: psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" After installing  (PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-bugs

> On 25. Jan 2022, at 4.28, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Bug reference:      17381
> Logged by:          Pratik Poudel
> Email address:      poudelpratik97@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 14.0
> Operating system:   Linux- Ubuntu
>
> Hello,
> I tried to install postgresql on Ubuntu 20 LTS.
> I followed digital oceans docs and used the following for the
> installation::
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-contrib
>
> This installed successfully  when I tried to switch to postgres account
> using
> sudo su - postgres
> The above worked.
> But it throws the error when i try the command "psql"
>
> psql: error: connection to server on socket
> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
> failed: No such file or directory
>     Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that socket?

Hello!

I don't think Ubuntu starts the PostgreSQL server with those commands. You should set up and then start PostgreSQL e.g.
withcommand systemctl start.

Best regards, Matti Linnanvuori