BUG #17381: psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" After installing - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From PG Bug reporting form
Subject BUG #17381: psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" After installing
Date
Responses Re: BUG #17381: psql: error: connection to server on socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" After installing  (Matti Linnanvuori <matti.linnanvuori@portalify.com>)
List pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      17381
Logged by:          Pratik Poudel
Email address:      poudelpratik97@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 14.0
Operating system:   Linux- Ubuntu

Hello,
I tried to install postgresql on Ubuntu 20 LTS.
I followed digital oceans docs and used the following for the
installation::
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install postgresql postgresql-contrib

This installed successfully  when I tried to switch to postgres account
using
sudo su - postgres
The above worked.
But it throws the error when i try the command "psql"

psql: error: connection to server on socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"
failed: No such file or directory
    Is the server running locally and accepting connections on that socket?