Re: [GENERAL] Installing PostgreSQL 10 on Mac OSX Undefined Symbol _heap_modify_tuple_by_cols - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Madin
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Installing PostgreSQL 10 on Mac OSX Undefined Symbol _heap_modify_tuple_by_cols
Date
List pgsql-general
G'day Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. I couldn't find anywhere that suggested that I had set the CPPFLAGS or CFLAGS environment variables, so I removed the following lines from my profile:

#export USE_PGXS=1
#export PG_LIB_DIR="/usr/local/pgsql/lib"
#export PG_CONFIG="/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config"
#export PGDATA="/usr/local/pgsql/data"

and tried again - worked a treat!

I haven't tried to work out which of these lines caused the problem, but hopefully if anyone else has a similar problem they might benefit!

cheers

Ben

On 24 October 2017 at 02:43, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Ben Madin <ben@ausvet.com.au> writes:
> we are quite excited about the parallelisation enhancements, and keen to
> try, but trying to build (using the same configure as we have used for 9.6)
> is giving some warnings and errors.

Something's definitely messed up there:

> gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute
> -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv
> -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -O2 -arch x86_64  -DREFINT_VERBOSE -I.
> -I./ -I/usr/local/pgsql965/include/server
> -I/usr/local/pgsql965/include/internal
> -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/usr/include/libxml2
> -I/usr/local/include  -c -o autoinc.o autoinc.c

Looking at this example of a v10 build log on macOS:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=longfin&dt=2017-10-23%2018%3A15%3A34&stg=make

the compile command for autoinc is

ccache gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -g -O2 -fno-common -Wno-deprecated-declarations -Werror  -DREFINT_VERBOSE -I. -I. -I../../src/include  -I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/usr/include/libxml2  -I/usr/local/ssl/include  -c -o autoinc.o autoinc.c

Some of the discrepancies (e.g. -Werror on the buildfarm machine) are
explainable as different configuration choices, but the references to
/usr/local/pgsql965 in your build sure look like trouble.

> Is this looking for an existing environment variable (which
> seems unlikely for a build process) or is something else unusual?

I believe the configure script *does* pay attention to environment
variables, particularly CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS.  Most likely you had
version-specific values in those when you ran configure, and they
got absorbed into src/Makefile.global.

Dr Ben Madin
Managing Director

m : +61 448 887 220

5 Shuffrey Street, Fremantle
Western Australia

on the web: www.ausvet.com.au

This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this email are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Ausvet unless expressly stated otherwise. Although Ausvet uses virus scanning software we do not accept liability for viruses or similar in any attachments.