Re: [GENERAL] Installing PostgreSQL 10 on Mac OSX Undefined Symbol _heap_modify_tuple_by_cols - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Installing PostgreSQL 10 on Mac OSX Undefined Symbol _heap_modify_tuple_by_cols
Date
List pgsql-general
Ben Madin <ben@ausvet.com.au> writes:
> we are quite excited about the parallelisation enhancements, and keen to
> try, but trying to build (using the same configure as we have used for 9.6)
> is giving some warnings and errors.

Something's definitely messed up there:

> gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels -Wmissing-format-attribute
> -Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv
> -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -O2 -arch x86_64  -DREFINT_VERBOSE -I.
> -I./ -I/usr/local/pgsql965/include/server
> -I/usr/local/pgsql965/include/internal

-I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/usr/include/libxml2
> -I/usr/local/include  -c -o autoinc.o autoinc.c

Looking at this example of a v10 build log on macOS:
https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=longfin&dt=2017-10-23%2018%3A15%3A34&stg=make

the compile command for autoinc is

ccache gcc -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wendif-labels
-Wmissing-format-attribute-Wformat-security -fno-strict-aliasing -fwrapv -Wno-unused-command-line-argument -g -O2
-fno-common-Wno-deprecated-declarations -Werror  -DREFINT_VERBOSE -I. -I. -I../../src/include
-I/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.13.sdk/usr/include/libxml2
-I/usr/local/ssl/include  -c -o autoinc.o autoinc.c

Some of the discrepancies (e.g. -Werror on the buildfarm machine) are
explainable as different configuration choices, but the references to
/usr/local/pgsql965 in your build sure look like trouble.

> Is this looking for an existing environment variable (which
> seems unlikely for a build process) or is something else unusual?

I believe the configure script *does* pay attention to environment
variables, particularly CPPFLAGS and CFLAGS.  Most likely you had
version-specific values in those when you ran configure, and they
got absorbed into src/Makefile.global.