Re: PostgreSQL Timeline - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mason S
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Timeline
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Postgres-XC probably did more than anything else to kill a lot of the
> clustering projects.  Why use GridSQL when you can use Postgres-XC?
Bookmarking this one :)

Because they are intended for different workloads. GridSQL handles ad hoc analytical queries much better.

Try running DBT-1 (TPC-H) against GridSQL and Postgres-XC. You will get nice scalability with GridSQL, but may be waiting for hours with Postgres-XC... it sometimes ships everything to one single node for joining.

Postgres-XC does fine for OLTP workloads and analytical queries that do not involve inter-node joins. GridSQL performs poorly for OLTP, but can handle inter-node joins in parallel for analytical queries.

Use the right solution depending on your requirements.

That said, long term Postgres-XC could replace GridSQL if it improves in this area. Postgres-XC could also replace pgpool-II today in some cases, possibly more if we allow reads from data node slaves.

Regards,

Mason