Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Sarah Schnurr
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 11 Press Release Feedback
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 8:41 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
Hi,

As we have recently released PostgreSQL 11 Beta 3, the time to releasing
PostgreSQL 11 is drawing near. I wanted to share with you a draft of the
proposed press release to solicit *constructive* feedback, specifically looking
for:

- Grammatical mistakes / typos / awkward + unclear language
- Technical inaccuracies
- Suggestions for missing features that should be highlighted
- Quotes - you can see there are lots of room for them ;-)

Please bear in mind that the release is targeted towards the users of
PostgreSQL, the vast majority of whom do not post to the mailing lists, and the
principle idea behind the language is to help clearly explain why one should
upgrade, if not use, PostgreSQL 11 and how to utilize the new features
available. For many people, this is their only viewpoint into whats in the
release, so let's make sure it makes them excited about using PostgreSQL!

If you wish to provide feedback, please send it no later than Aug 31, 2018.
After that, the draft will need to be finalized (barring changes from -hackers
on which features are included).

If you wish to provide a quote, please send an
email to press@postgresql.org with your name, organization, and the quote.

Below is a copy of the press release draft:

Thanks for your help,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Overall, the post is phrased and written extremely well. It is very informative and concise.

With that said, there are three minor typos that I caught on a quick read-through:

Period is on a different line.

  40 to the correct partition if the partition key for that row is updated
  41 .

I believe it should be "to enable" here.

  91 To take advantage of JIT compilation, you will need to install the LLVM
  92 dependencies enable JIT compilation in either your PostgreSQL settings file by
  93 setting `jit = on` or from your PostgreSQL session by executing `SET jit = on`.

Additional functionality*.

 108 - Additional functionally for working with window functions, including allowing
 109 `RANGE` to use `PRECEDING`/`FOLLOWING`, `GROUPS`, and frame exclusion

Hopefully this helps!

--
Sarah Schnurr