Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date
Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 9:34 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > Why is this being proposed?
>
> Andres is annoyed by the long build time of ecpg, which he has to
> wait for whether he wants to test it or not.  I could imagine that
> I might disable ecpg testing on my slowest buildfarm animals, too.

This message triggered me to try to teach ccache how to cache
preproc.y -> preproc.{c,h}, and I got that basically working[1], but
upstream doesn't want it (yet).  I'll try again if the proposed
refactoring to allow more kinds of compiler-like-things goes
somewhere.  I think that started with people's struggles with GCC vs
MSVC.  Given the simplicity of this case, though, I suppose we could
have a little not-very-general shell/python/whatever wrapper script --
just compute a checksum of the input and keep the output files around.

[1] https://github.com/ccache/ccache/pull/1156