Re: pgsql: Add standard collation UNICODE - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pgsql: Add standard collation UNICODE
Date
List pgsql-committers
On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 9:10 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > On 2023-03-11 Sa 15:47, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> In general, I see no good reason for our regression tests to be making
> >> assumptions about exactly how ICU's root locale behaves, so I'd suggest
> >> just lobotomizing this test case so it doesn't depend on upper/lower
> >> sort order.
>
> > Yeah, I think we've found enough cases in old still not dead distros to
> > make this reasonable.
>
> I see topminnow is showing the symptom too, so it's now pretty clear
> that this was once a common behavior.  I dug in ICU's release notes
> and couldn't find anything about it, but they must've changed something
> somewhen.

Most odd, and a bit worrying for the multi-lib concept we were
discussing (now for 17), though not fatal if it's something like
"there was one historical screwup back in 50.whatever, but now we are
more careful", or "it was a packaging error that was fixed but old
systems that aren't getting updated don't have the fix", so not even
ICU's fault (which would fit with Jeff's observation that he can't
repro the issue by building from ICU source at the 50.2 tag, as if
what is in the package is not what was tagged?!).  It'd be nice to
understand what happened here...  What do these disagreeing systems
report for the various version meta-data (Unicode version, CLDR
version, the opaque collator version, etc)?