Re: Is RecoveryConflictInterrupt() entirely safe in a signal handler? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Is RecoveryConflictInterrupt() entirely safe in a signal handler?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 11:00 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:

> > > Ugh.  That one was safe before somebody decided we needed a hash table
> > > for buffer refcounts, but it's surely not safe now.
> >
> > Mea culpa. This is 4b4b680c3d6d - from 2014.
>
> Whoa. There's way worse: StandbyTimeoutHandler() calls
> SendRecoveryConflictWithBufferPin(), which calls CancelDBBackends(), which
> acquires lwlocks etc.
>
> Which very plausibly is the cause for the issue I'm investigating in
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20220409220054.fqn5arvbeesmxdg5%40alap3.anarazel.de

Huh.  I wouldn't have started a separate thread for this if I'd
realised I was getting close to the cause of the CI failure... I
thought this was an incidental observation.  Anyway, I made a first
attempt at fixing this SIGUSR1 problem (I think Andres is looking at
the SIGALRM problem in the other thread).

Instead of bothering to create N different XXXPending variables for
the different conflict "reasons", I used an array.  Other than that,
it's much like existing examples.

The existing use of the global variable RecoveryConflictReason seems a
little woolly.  Doesn't it get clobbered every time a signal arrives,
even if we determine that there is no conflict?  Not sure why that's
OK, but anyway, this patch always sets it together with
RecoveryConflictPending = true.

Attachment