Re: pg_tablespace_location() failure with allow_in_place_tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: pg_tablespace_location() failure with allow_in_place_tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 3:53 PM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2022 at 05:15:58PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > I'm not sure that the "of the symbolic link in pg_tblspc/" is
> > needed. And allow_in_place_tablespaces alone doesn't create in-place
> > tablespace. So this might need rethink at least for the second point.
>
> Surely this can be improved.  I was not satisfied with this paragraph
> after re-reading it this morning, so I have just removed it, rewording
> slightly the part for in-place tablespaces that is still necessary.

+       <para>
+        A relative path to the data directory is returned for tablespaces
+        created when <xref linkend="guc-allow-in-place-tablespaces"/> is
+        enabled.
+       </para>
+       </entry>

I think what Horiguchi-san was pointing out above is that you need to
enable the GUC *and* say LOCATION '', which the new paragraph doesn't
capture.  What do you think about this:

A path relative to the data directory is returned for in-place
tablespaces (see <xref ...>).