Re: Windows default locale vs initdb - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Windows default locale vs initdb
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 3:33 PM Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 11:59 PM Juan José Santamaría Flecha
> <juanjo.santamaria@gmail.com> wrote:
> > TL;DR; What I want to show through this example is that Windows ACP is not modified by setlocale(), it can only be
donethrough the Windows registry and only in recent releases.

> Thanks, that was helpful, and so was that SO link.
>
> So it sounds like I should forget about the v3-0002 patch, but the
> v3-0001 and v3-0003 patches might have a future.  And it sounds like
> we might need to investigate maybe defending ourselves against the ACP
> being different than what we expect (ie not matching the database
> encoding)?  Did I understand correctly that you're looking into that?

I'm going to withdraw this entry.  The sooner we get something like
0001 into a release, the sooner the world will be rid of PostgreSQL
clusters initialised with the bad old locale names that the manual
very clearly tells you not to use for databases.... but I don't
understand this ACP/registry vs database encoding stuff and how it
relates to the use of BCP47 locale names, which puts me off changing
anything until we do.